Sunday, December 6, 2009

Matteus Faria Interview


After one look at Matteus's portfolio anyone would think this is the work of a veteran with a lot of skill, but most of you would be surprised to find out that he is only 17. With an amazing style of that integrates 2D and 3D graphic, age isn't a factor for him. Matteus gives some great advice in this interview. He also talks about going to design school next year, how he creates his 3D work, and much much more. There is a lot to be learned in this interview, so lets get into it!

1. Welcome to Psdtuts+, please introduce yourself. Could you tell us where you're from and how you got started in the field?

Hi, my name is Matteus Faria. I'm 17 years old. I live in the city of São Paulo in Brazil, and I'm planning in the next year to attend a Graphic Design college. I don't remember why I started in this field, I just remember that it was in 2007. I started with little works like signatures and some images for personal use. In the end of 2007, I started to work more with large scale pieces, modeling objects and scenes in Cinema 4D with post production in Photoshop.



2. With all the different routes you could have taken in terms of design, why did you lean towards creating 3D art mixed with Photoshop?

In the era that I started I saw a lot of works with this mix of 3D with some elements created in Photoshop, I liked and applied my own style. I think its cool how objects in the 3rd dimension mix inside of real things, like animals and people, it's something very interesting.



3. "Natures Revenge" is a perfect example of seamless integration of 3D elements and natural stocks. Tell us how you managed to master this style of design.

The concept of this work was to represent the revolt of nature against humanity, it can be an overused concept but I liked the way I represented it. It was very different than what people usually do when this theme is used.

Initially its necessary to observe how the integration will be done, if it will combine or not. When I did this work I applied a material in the render made in Cinema 4D that seemed like an old branch and that combined with the stock that I would work on later. Many times I tried this integration but it didn't work. The secret is to keep trying and searching for better alternatives to make it. You will have some works where you will not get it right on the first try.



4. The majority of your work consists of some kind of 3D elements. What programs do you use to create them. And what advice would you give to designers who would like to start creating their own 3D images.

For my works in 3D, I use Cinema 4D and just in one piece I used Poser, it's a great program, but I didn't have time to work more with it. What I use most is Cinema 4D. And some advice that I would give for those who are starting out is to search through the basic tutorials about modeling, then create your own technique and your own style. The tutorials are made to learn not to be copied, its a question of practice and creativity.



5. "Heartless" is a very interesting and visually amazing illustration of yours. Please walk us through how you created it, and what the illustration means to you.

My idea about this work was to create a person without feelings, without soul, "heartless," so I was adding robot parts that are motherboard stocks, smoke, and in Cinema 4D I modeled some black wires to increase the visual of my work, it was very fun. I really wanted to know how to draw, the maximum that I do is little details and the final adjustments.



6. Throughout your experiences in graphic design, and other studies, what is the most important lesson you have learned? Why do you find it so important? And how do you apply it now to your art?

As I intend to pursue a career with what I do, I do not see this as a job, I see this as entertainment, something that relaxes me when I'm doing it, and, this was the most important thing that I've learned. While I have fun doing it, that's what I'll do, and that's what matters. Don't stop at the first hurdle or the first bad comment about your work, go ahead and don't stop. This is the most important concept. I apply this in my work always trying to improve and create new things. Being happy is what matters.



7. Are there any specific techniques you use when designing that you would suggest to someone who is starting out in the same field as you?

I don't have a "big" technique, what I do is simple. The secret is to use simple techniques but apply them carefully with details, that makes it become big.



8. Thanks again for providing Psdtuts+ with this opportunity to interview you. Any final thoughts for our readers?

You're welcome Emil! Thanks for the opportunity. Have fun with what you do and keep practicing, never give up!


Where to find Matteus on the Web



by psd.tutsplus.com with author : emil

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online